The marinated olives and feta cheese make an excellent appetizer or snack inspired by the Mediterranean diet. They are as tasty as they are quick to prepare.
The flavor of olives is simply amazing. They are salty and briny. I just love them. I always have a jar (or two, maybe three) in my fridge. Furthermore, I know you will think I am crazy, but I just love them so much. I am a sucker for anything salty, so they are up in my alley. I love all sorts of olives, and I’ve tried all sort of olives that they exist.
As you know I grow up in Bulgaria which is Greece and Turkey neighboring country and I grow up eating Mediterranean cuisine and specially olives. My dad used to live in Greece for so many years, and he used to send me jars with olives he picked up from the garden. Amazing! So my love for olives started in my early childhood ages and I love them since then.
Olives are the staples of the Mediterranean diet and cuisine. They are a rich source of vitamin E, and contain a large amount of sodium, Green olives are 75% water, 15% fat and 4% carbohydrates. One hundred grams of cured green olives provide 146 calories.
Olives are so versatile, you can use them in absolutely everything. From adding them to salads, making a tapenade , to making delicious sauces for fish and chicken such as Puttanesca or just as an appetizer.
I love the marinated olives that you can find in the deli section of the grocery store. I found out how easy it is to make your own at home and a lot cheaper and since then I have make my own marinated olives & feta cheese.
- It’s done in 10 minutes
- Easy and delicious appetizer
- Perfect addition to a cheese board or antipasti board
- Amazing flavor
- Simple and affordable ingredients
- For best results use a variety of olives- I live Kalamata, Manzanillo, Giant Khalkidhiki olives, etc. ,but you can use any kind you like
- Use dry oregano
- Use good quality olive oil
- Use fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill and basil for more flavor
A tasty appetizer, accompaniment to a cheese board, or simply a snack, this dish can be enjoyed anytime of the day.
Marinated Olives & Feta Cheese
- 2 cups olives - mix of variety
- 3 oz. Feta cheese - Bulgarian Feta Cheese cubed
- 1 tbsp. dry oregano
- 1 tsp. dry red pepper flakes
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- fresh chopped basil
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix well to combine. Allow olives to marinade at least 20 minutes before enjoying.
- For best results let it marinate in the fridge in a tight lid container for 24 hours.
- I like to use Bulgarian Feta Cheese- its more creamy then the Greek Feta.
- For best results let it marinate for at least 24 hours.
- You can keep in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in tight lid container
- Use as appetizer, addition to a cheese board or just as snack