Chicken Fried Rice it’s one of my favorite things in the world. You can forget take-out with this easy Chicken Fried Rice. Make your own fried rice at home, so much better and much healthier. A quick and easy Asian inspired recipe perfect for busy weeknights and ready in 30 minutes. This classic side dish is a very handy basic skill for any home cook.
Fire up your wok and get this Chicken Fried Rice in no time on your table. This classic Chinese restaurant style fried rice is one of the most-requested recipes – make it to find out why! The secret is all in the prep: use precooked rice for the best results, and leftover you can use for Vietnamese Pork Loin with Spicy Crunchy Slaw.
who doesnt love Chinese take out – fried rice of any variations. Chicken Fried rice is the perfect dinner to make after a long and hard day at work. You can be done in 30 minutes, plus you can use frozen veggies like carrots, peas and even broccoli.
This kid-friendly Chicken fried rice is a big hit in my household – it’s packed full of veggies, has zero spice (although you can add yours after you serve the little ones!) and has eggs as well in it. Both the young and the young-at-heart will love this total crowd-pleaser chicken fried rice.
Fried rice is great because it’s versatile and customizable to fit your own taste. You don’t like peas? Leave them out! You want mushrooms, by all means, add mushrooms. If you don’t like chicken , use shrimp or beef, or pork, or even tofu for a vegetarian version. If you’re brave, add them all for a meat lovers fried rice. It’s your kitchen, so you make the rules!
- It’s done in 30 minutes
- Easy weeknight dinner
- Have amazing flavor
- It is low budget and an amazing flavorful dinner/lunch
This is a very easy recipe to make. It’s best if you prepare all your ingredients so they are ready for cooking. Once you start cooking everything will go really quick.
- Use previously cooked and chilled leftover rice
- Marinating your meat is very important. You can marinate it from 15 minutes up to 24 hours. The longer you marinate, the more flavor your meat will have.
- Fry ingredients separately. You want all veggies or proteins to have their own taste, if you throw in everything together, they will all taste the same.
- Use high heat! This way everything fries up quickly.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 lb. chicken thighs - boneless, skinless and trimmed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 3 tbsp. olive oil - light olive oil high heat cooking oil
- 5 cups cooked white rice - chilled over night
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. Chinese Shaoxing cooking wine
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ginger - graded or finely chopped
- 1 small onion - diced
- 2 eggs - lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup green onions - finely sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms - sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup carrots - cut to small pieces or frozen
- Prepare, measure and chop all ingredients before cooking
- Cut chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and transfer into a bowl. Season with 1 tbsp. soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar 1 tbsp. olive oil, pinch of salt and black pepper, the 2 tbsp. corn starch and 1 tbsp. Chinese Shaoxing cooking wine. mix well and let it marinate. You can do that the night before or just marinated the chicken at least for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying non stick pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until fully cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 Tbsp. oil then Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until just starting to turn golden. Add the onion and sliced mushrooms and stir-fry for another minute or until the onion and mushrooms are softened. Add the carrots and peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Push all the ingredients over to one side of the pan or wok. Tilt the pan so that the oil slides into the empty side. Pour the eggs into the oil. Use a spatula to spread the egg out so it cooks evenly. Once the egg is set, break it up and mix with other ingredients.
- Add the rice and break up and incorporate the rice with the other ingredients. Cook 1 to 2 minutes without disturbing then stir and sauté another 1 to 2 minutes. Rice should sizzle.
- Add cooked chicken and then drizzle 2 Tbsp. soy sauce. 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce and stir-fry until well combined. Toss through the green onions.Turn the heat off and toss through the sesame oil
- Serve warm.
- If you are making rice for this recipe, be sure to rinse the rice before cooking to remove extra starch so your fried rice doesn’t end up sticky.
- Make sure you cook the rice the day before and chilled it.
- For gluten free substitute the soy sauce for Tamari soy sauce or a soy sauce specifically labeled “gluten-free”.