Beets are very versatile vegetable. They are low on calories and full of vitamins and minerals.
You can use them on salads, soups and even to make antioxidant juices. Personally, I love beets. I love making salads or bake and eat them with a little bit of salt. Simple, but Delicious.
In the spirit of I like to share one of my favorite recipe for beet soup- Chilled Beet, Lemon and Yogurt Soup.
This soup is light, flavorful and so refreshing! I love how the sweet and earthy beets pair with the tangy yogurt and lemon. The addition of fresh dill takes this over the top.
While this soup is perfect for the hot summer days It is also a amazing to be serve for your Valentines Day brunch or dinner. This is a simple meal to prepare and the other Think I like about this soup is that can be store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
During the long and hot summer days this is one of my all time favorite soups. I love to add some Bulgarian or Greek feta cheese or goat cheese too. Delicious!
When I have a guest coming over, I make this soup more elegant, and I serve it with Goat Cheese Crostini. It gives that elegant and sophisticated restaurant quality to your dinner.
Now, it’s time to open a bottle of chilled white wine, and Enjoy your Dinner!
Here is one of my all time favorite summer recipe for beet soup.
Very healthy and easy to make. For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
Beet and Yogurt Soup
- 6-7 Red Beets - peeled and chopped
- 1 Onion - small- chopped
- 1 Celery - stalk- chopped
- 1 Leek - stalk- chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves - chopped
- 2 QT. Organic Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 2 Cup Water.
- Black pepper - to taste
- Salt - to taste
- 5 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 tbsp. Dry Thyme.
- 1/2 tbsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp. Garlic powder
- tbsp. Fresh Dill. - chopped
- 1/2 cup Bulgarian Yogurt
- Wash and clean the beets well from dirt.
- Peel the skin with potato peeler. Cut the beets into small cubes, and put them a side. Chop the onion, celery and leek. They don't need to be finely chopped, because we will be blending the soup at the end.
- In a large pot sauté the celery, leek and onion for a few minutes until they get translucent on medium high heat. Turn the temperature down to low.
- Add the chop garlic and stir constantly sot that you prevent the garlic from burning. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the stock, water, beets and the rest of the seasoning.
- Bring to boil. Cover the pot and simmer until the beets are tender (about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the beets). It is always a good habit to get a few pieces and poke them with a knife. If the knife slices in easy, they are cooked all the way through.
- Garnish with fresh chopped dill and a dollop of yogurt to taste.
- If you like to serve this soup hot, make sure to heat it slowly on the stove on a low temperature so the yogurt doesn’t brake. You can always skip the yogurt during blending. After you serve you can also add sour cream to taste.