The whole roasted Beef Tenderloin is melt-in-your-mouth delicious classic holiday dish! Traditionally, this dish celebrates the holiday season! Cook to perfection to medium – rare in the center and perfectly browned and flavorful crust!
We love to serve roasts for Christmas and special occasions from Christmas Pork Tenderloin with Spiced Cranberry-Pear Chutney to Pork Tenderloin with Bourbon Mustard Marinate and Mustard Sauce and of course Juicy Herb Butter Thanksgiving Turkey Stuffed with Rice and Mushrooms Recipe.
Looking for a new favorite? You may enjoy discovering a new favorite by trying this amazing, super tender, melting in your mouth Beef Tenderloin.
The best, juicy roast Beef Tenderloin that melts in your mouth with every bite! Red wine mushroom sauce will make this a five star restaurant quality dish. Yes you will be surprise how easy is to make and it will be just as good as anything you’d find in a restaurant!
Don’t stress and don’t be afraid by the size and the perfection that this beautiful cut of meat. There’s nothing quite like this Beef Tenderloin. It’s perfectly seasoned, wonderfully moist, and full of flavor. This Beef Tenderloin is a real treat. No more dry and blend Beef Tenderloin . This will become your favorite recipe.
What is Beef Tenderloin?
A beef tenderloin, known as an eye fillet in Australasia, filet in France, filé mignon in Brazil, and fillet in the United Kingdom and South Africa, is cut from the loin of beef. Beef tenderloin is found in the loin of the cow and this cut of beef is considered to be the most tender – also one of the most expensive!
I know this cut of meat can be quite expensive – but I’m telling you this will easily cater to a crowd for less than what you would pay at a restaurant.
Ideally beef tenderloin should be cooked at 135 to 140 degrees for perfect flavor and temperature.
What is Fillet Mignon? Is beef tenderloin the same as filet mignon?
Filet mignon is sliced from the center of the whole beef tenderloin. It is the most tender portion of the tenderloin which is why it is more expensive
Beef Tenderloin Temperatures:
Medium Rare: 130 – 135 degrees F
Medium: 140 – 145 degrees F
Rare: 120 – 125 degrees F
Medium Well: 150 – 155 degrees F
Remove the roast from the oven 5 to 10 degrees before it reaches its final temperature since the temperature will continue to rise as it rests.
Seasoning or spicing the tenderloin doesn’t need to be that extensive, because the meat is already so flavorful. It doesn’t need much seasoning to make beef tenderloin shine; it’s naturally delicious, just a fair amount of fresh cracked black pepper and salt.
- Make sure to trim the silver skin of your tenderloin
- For even cooking, I highly recommend bringing the tenderloin to room temperature before roasting. I like to take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
- Tying a tenderloin is important for even cooking. Do not skip this step. It helps to get an even-thickness roast, but if you have a thin flap on one end, tuck it under the roast and tie it with kitchen string to create an even shape.
- Be generous with seasoning the tenderloin with salt and pepper.
- Cost Saving tip:-An un-trimmed tenderloin can be significantly less expensive.
- Preheat oven: To 450 F degrees.
- Make a sauce– For more decadent and elegant Beef Tenderloin serve with a red wine sauce, Mushroom Sauce, etc.
- Let it rest! I know this step is probably usually skipped but it’s very important to let your cut of beef rest. This will ensure that all those delicious juices will not leak out onto your cutting board but into your mouth. Nobody loves a dry, flavorless cut of beef.
- Do not overcook it! I always tell you that the best way to really cook any kind of meat, whatever cut it may be is to really use a meat Thermometer
- It’s done in 30-40 minutes
- It’s one pan Dish
- It’s the perfect Christmas Dinner on your table or just a Elegant Dinner for special occasions
What to Serve with Beef Tenderloin:
- Parsnip Puree
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans Bundle
- Charred Green Beans with Shallots, Parsley and Garlic
- Sautéed Brussel Sprouts
You can never go wrong with any of this side dishes.
And if you have leftovers, which I guarantee you will not happened, you can safe it in the fridge and make amazing tacos.
- 2 pound beef tenderloin - trim and tied at room temperature for 1-2 hours
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. black pepper - fresh cracked d is preferred
- 3 tbsp. olive oil - mild flavor
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary - optional
- 1/3 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 500˚F with rack in the center of the oven. Pat dry your room temperature tenderloin with paper towels. Tie tenderloin with the kitchen string.
- Drizzle the meat generously all over with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Combine salt, black pepper thyme and rosemary. Rub all over the beef.
- Heat the 2tbsp. olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet and sear the tenderloin on all sides until browned.
- Place the skillet into the oven and roast for about 18-20 minutes for medium-rare or until a meat thermometer reads 130 °F indicating medium rare. Make sure you're inserting the meat thermometer into the most center or thickest part of the tenderloin.
- In the meantime make the Mushroom Sauce:Place a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp. butter and 1Tbsp. oil then add sliced mushrooms and onion or( shallots) and sauté together, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft and mushrooms are lightly browned. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add thyme, salt, pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup wine and scrape the bottom to deglaze. Continue cooking until most of the wine has evaporated (1-2 minutes).
- Add 1 cup beef broth and boil until reduced by half (4-5 min) on medium low temperature. Add heavy cream and simmer for another 2-3 minutes or until sauce reach the desired thickness.
- Remove sauce and adjust seasoning if need it.
- Once cook time has finished, remove from the oven and place onto a cutting board covered with aluminum foil. Let the tenderloin rest for about 10 minutes, then slice and serve with your favorite sides and the mushroom sauce.